Kamis, 30 Juli 2009

I always feed my three turtles crickets from my backyard . Is that Ok?

Could they catch diseases from the crickets or anything like that?Or get sick?
Answers:
there is a possibility. If you want to be sure it is safe, then put the crickets in a bucket and feed them cornmeal for a few days. Their systems will be purged and safe for the turts.
No, it should be fine. If they were wild turtles.they would eat them.
http://pbskids.org/itsmylife/family/pets.
yeah, thats ok i had a turtle named pasta (long story) and I fed it crickets from my back yard, i also went to petco, very helpful :)
Yard crickets are different then "feeder crickets" feeder crickets are bred with a softer body that contains more liquid.Some feeder crickets are actually fed vitamins so your pets benefit from eating them.Yard crickets may have crawled thru grass with toxins in it and also have a boney,hard,exoskeliton that makes it harder for your pet to digest.
Are they water turtles?
When I was a kid I had a red ear slider for many years, I fed it flies , earthworms, bits of raw liver and hamburger . I put in some snails from the river and it would even eat them, so I guess I am saying crickets are OK but vary the diet too.
Had a box turtle , it liked melon, worms , hot dogs (pieces) cucumber and salad stuff.
depending on the turtle, but i'd say it is okay turtles are omnivours and i'm sure that most turtle can eat bugs. i know that some can.
1. Crickets are not a problem unless they have been sprayed or ptherwise exposed to chemicals

2. On the other hand, crickets are not super nutritious and should be considered supplements to the usual diet.
As long as your yard has not been sprayed with pesticides.
NO, dont do it, it can make you pet sick or kill it. the bug may have harmfull stuff on it or ate harmfull stuff no matter if it was in your ward or not.bugs dont just stay in one ward, just go to your pet store and buy them. they arent much $ at all
thats ok
Don't worry about the turtles getting sick form eating crickets. There is little chance of any disease unless the crickets have been sprayed with insectiside.
Crickets,flies, hamburger, lettuce all good for turtles.
try some worms
no some turtles eat crickets and other small bugs
yes they can get sick if the crickets have been near any kind of chemical and since you don't know where they have been I would not recommend it.
its ok but to make it better or healthier for them go to the pet store and get cricket vitamin dust and dust them first like they do at the stores!
it's fine that your feeding them crickets.. thats what they would normally eat. so dont worry
No. Never feed bugs from your back yard. You have no idea where they have been. They can carry all sorts of diseases and parasites. Even if you don't, other yards use chemicals and pesticides they could have gotten into also.
It's like, can I eat the mushroom I found in the woods.

IF the mushroom is not posionous and it is clean (no parasite, bateria, etc) and all, I will be ok.

But if it is not, you know what will happen.

IF I go to the store and buy mushroom, I am pretty sure I will be ok.