Kamis, 30 Juli 2009

How small of a space can a 3-5 foot boa/python snake squeeze through?

My stepson has us snake sitting and I'm a bit nervous would greatly appreciate knowing how small of a space this 3-4 foot snake can escape out of?
Answers:
The doctors is in, and he thinks he can help!

My son wanted a snake, and so I bought him a boa. I would say, eh, close to the size you currently own. Anyhow, my son let him out of the cage, low and behold he crawled under the door. Mind you, it was closed! That small of a space! They are extremely and I do mean extremely hard to keep in anything that has any space where they might crawl out.

We ended up having to call animal control. It was a nightmare. After a long talk with my son we as a family decided snakes just wasnt for us. We have big lake by our house so we went out on the boat and let him free in the middle of it. I haven't seen him as of yet, but im sure hes out there living somewhere.

Glad I could help!

Dr.Help
1-2 foot door.
5 inch whole doggg
I'm just guessing, but it would probably have to be able to fit it's head through-the rest is pretty compressable.

Just put an extra rock or two on the top of its cage so it can't lift off the top.
A 1-2" space and unfortunately I'm not kidding. Put something that weighs about 10 pounds on top of the screen lid and it won't be able to get out as long as the screen lid is tight fitting. Be sure to feed the snake well also because well fed snakes don't tend to escape as much.
under the door;
through the window grill;
tell your son to cage him when he is out.
The rule for snakes usually is if they can get their head through it the rest will follow. The body of a snake will compress to fit through some very tight spaces.
If a snake can force it's head through the rest of the body can get out.
you would be very surprised they can get through just about anything!! a good rule of thumb that I've used on my past snakes and currently on my wolf hybrid( who is the best escape artist ) is that if their head can fit through then so can their body.I once had a 5-6 ft. boa get loose from the smalls hole in his cage. I found him coming back in my back room 3 days later. my wife was pissed off at me for a while because she found him and she hates reptiles.
depends on species and thickness. I would say, and just a guesstemation here, half of the thickest point on the body.
surprisingly small, an amount equal to the diameter of its head. i'd guess an inch and a half.