Kamis, 30 Juli 2009

How to ship a tortoise from New York to California?

I need to know how to ship my pet tortoise from NY to Ca.

The tortoise weighs about a pound, 5 inches in diameter and is totally harmless.

The airlines allow only cats and dogs so I can't bring it on the plane with me.

I need to make sure that it won't be harmed in shipment and won't starve or thirst. So, it must get there in good healthy condition.

Also, how much would it cost to ship it.

Thanks.
Answers:
UPS overnite shipping it would cost about close to $50.00
thats just aguss but call your local UPS store and ask them how much is overnite shipping hope this helps
GOOD LUCK! :)
Wrap it comletely in duct-tape and slap a few stamps on it.

I shipped my dog on an Airplane without me. You may be able to do that if it is caged with a proper vet inspection certificate.
You can ship it on the plane in the cargo area. You would need to check with the airline that you will be using.
If you haven't already done so, call the airlines and ask them to allow you to take your tortoise. Get a certificate from the vet saying that he won't bring any diseases into CA. Act hurt, tearful, whatever . ask for reasons, say you'll pay. Just don't even mention 'exploding tortoises' or anything . just don't go that way! A tortoise would be much less trouble on a flight than a cat or a dog (presumably any animal would have to be in a carrier, anyway.) It CANNOT go in the cargo area! Cargo areas are usually unheated and possibly unpressurised!

If you hit a blank wall, then the only option would be to drive yourself or maybe look for a pet or zoo transport company.
I WISH TO GOD YOU WOULD TAKE IT WHEREVER IT NEEDS TO GO IN PERSON. OTHERWISE THERE IS NO GUARANTEE IT WILL ARRIVE LIVE. I WOULD CALL THE ODDS AGAINST IT.

HAVE YOU ANY IDEA WHAT A THROWING AROUND AND POUNDING PACKAGES TAKE ON AIRLINES OR THE MAIL? OBVIOUSLY NOT.

I WOULD NO MORE MAIL A PET THAN I WOULD A CHILD.

TELL ME YOU ARE KIDDING.
Recheck the airline. I have been able to carry a tortoise as carry-on baggage several times as long as it fits the carry-on rules.

Otherwise, any good shipper can do it, like UPS or FedEx. Their websites contain good into to get you started.
make sure it has air holes for it to breath