Jumat, 31 Juli 2009

I found the other day in my garden what seems to be a Malayan Box Turtle. Will it survive in captivity?

After research on the net, I determined the turtle is indeed a malayan box turtle, (Cuora amboinensis). It is 5 inches in length and from what I read is still a bit young and seems to be a female. I understand that they are a bit rare now. Specially where i am, the Philippines. So, possibly it was imported from another more ecologically diverse and pristine area or region and may have escaped from its "owner". I, however, want to believe it is wild and that they still exist in the nearby forests and wetlands. Are they still in the Philippine forest? Will it survive with proper care in captivity? What is its primary food, what does it eat and need to survive? thanks.
Answers:
Instead of putting it in a cage, why don't you make it a little garden outside? That way is healthier for the turtle, but you can keep him close.
Good Luck
Yes, it can survive in captivity. And I feed my turtles thing like slugs, crickets and small feeder fish.
http://www.chelonia.org/articles/camboin.

Though if it's becoming rare in your area, why would you want to further that trend by taking one out of the wild?
http://www.turtlepuddle.org/cuora/amboin.