Minggu, 02 Agustus 2009

I have a ball python?

i have fed my python in a different cage but after putting him in his original cage. i have waited 2 days to pick him up again but he seems the striking position and strikes how do i get him to stay calm to where i can pick him up again
Answers:
Waiting to handle a snake after feeding is not about getting bit so much as it is about the snake regurgitating its meal.

A lot of snakes are skittish in the cage. Some will strike at you when you go to pick them up. They may or may not bite.

If you are nervous about taking a bite, use some gloves to pick him up. He may not ever like the taking out of the cage part of handling, but over time, he should grow accustomed to being handled.

If you keep snakes long enough, you are going to take a bite from time to time. But, my cat has bit me plenty of times, and my dog has bit me when playing (over excited). I don't keep venomous snakes or giant breeds of snakes, so getting bit is not a big deal. It doesn't tickle, sometimes it bleeds, but it's just an annoyance. Picking up after my dog when he does his business and cleaning the cat litter box are daily annoyances. Snake bites are few and far between.

I've given you a link to the ball python discussion forum at kingsnake.com. You will find great information there from people whoi actually know something about ball pythons, unlike what you're going to get here.
show him whos boss and pick his up.
Two days should be fine to pick him up. Just pick him up. Depending on how long he is, it shouldn't hurt too much. A baby will just tag you and there will probably be no bleeding. Adult or not, it wont hurt too much.

My corn snake Rose was really aggressive but I just picked her up quickly before she could assume striking position. That seemed to break the ice and now I can wait a bit and clean her cage without her trying to eat my hand.

So just pick the python up and hold him in about 10 -15 minute sessions and he should mellow out. Ball pythons are one of the most docile species of snakes. Besides corns, of course. ;)
he may still be hungry.how big is he?what did you feed him?bigger snakes need bigger food(guienie pigs,rabbits),also he is gonna think whatever it is you put in his cage is food,and he will most likely strike.(it don't hurt but for a minute,j/k)
How often do you normally handle him? How big is he? I'm always a little leary to pick up my little girl for awhile after she's eaten too! He could still be hungry.
just make sure hes well fed and dont hesitate to go in there and grab him.. i get bit at least once a week by something or another.. its realy no big deal.